“I need to get back in shape but I have no idea, or motivation for that matter, how to get started”. Sound familiar? Then that idea gets balled up and slam dunked straight into the 'too hard basket'.
I hear ya.
But TODAY we're going to grab that notion, iron it out and get you started with some actionable steps. We're going to lay out a totally doable plan that you will find likeable, sustainable and, yep, safe.
As a back pain sufferer I’ve had my share of sabbaticals from exercise and I’ve learned the hard way that it’s better to move a little than not at all. I understand from my own experience and working with new clients that the hump that must be hurdled to get started again can seem more like Everest. But IT IS doable so let's break it down TOGETHER.
Exercise energizes you with endorphins right when you finish, and it's associated with long-term increases in happiness, too.
1. PREP THE BODY - Ask yourself if you need to see the doctor, chiropractor or physical therapist first. It’s not a stopper, it’s just smart to always consult them before starting ANY program. Meanwhile start walking in your neighborhood 15 minutes at a time.
2. PREP THE MIND - Mindset is key. Determine your “why”. Ex: Feel more energy to be playful with your family, feel more positive about yourself, get better sleep, to get rid of chronic back pain or headaches. Whatever it might be, write it on post-its and pepper them around the house.
. BABY STEPS - Start with small, doable additions to your day. Aim to add bits of self-care and exercise into your lifestyle. You don’t have to be the health nut out of your friends to feel better, you just need to make a few tweaks that you can stick to. I have a few tools to get you started: A free 7-Day Self Care Checklist to give you some ideas and encourage instant gratification from tickin’ those boxes. Also try this safe, quick but effective Beginner Ab Workout (Go on, we’re talking 10 minutes).
and here's the workout...
4. ENLIST AN ACCOUNTABILITY BUDDY - This is HUGE! As a self-proclaimed people-pleaser, this one really motivates me like no other in the playbook. Ask a family member or friend that’s trying to get in shape or just really wants to support you to schedule check-in texts or phone calls. I have fun sending fun photos of sweaty selfies or even just my water bottle to my buddy. If you don't have anyone in mind, join our (private) community of like-minded (awesome) women where we check-in and support each other. JOIN HERE.
5. CELEBRATE SMALL WINS WITH YOUR BUDDY
- Glass of bubbly
- New shiny water bottle
- Fab sneakers
So you want to get you back in shape from 0-10. You know what? 0-1 is actually the hardest and this playbook will get you there. Let’s take that desire to exercise out of the 'too hard basket' and pin it to your fridge! You got this!
AND if you made it all the way down here, you’re obviously keen to get started, so I LOVE giving you a few small steps you can DO NOW:
- Make your Dr’s appointment
- Share this Playbook with the buddy you have in mind
- Print the free Self-care Checklist
- Pencil in a 15 minute walk for tomorrow
Please let me know if you have any questions about this or ANY OTHER struggles you have when it comes to exercise and self-care. I love connecting with you.
Feeling serious about getting back in Shape? Check out my EASE Pilates Program - A 4 week program designed specifically for beginners and pain sufferers