“I need to get back in shape but I have no idea, or motivation for that matter, how to get started”. Sound familiar? Then that idea gets balled up and slam dunked straight into the 'too hard basket'.
I hear ya.
But TODAY we're going to grab that notion, iron it out and get you started with some actionable steps. We're going to lay out a totally doable plan that you will find likeable, sustainable and, yep, safe.
As a back pain sufferer I’ve had my share of sabbaticals from exercise and I’ve learned the hard way that it’s better to move a little than not at all. I understand from my own experience and working with new clients that the hump that must be hurdled to get started again can seem more like Everest. But IT IS doable so let's break it down TOGETHER.
Exercise energizes you with endorphins right when you finish, and it's associated with long-term increases in happiness, too.
1. PREP THE BODY - Ask yourself if you need to see the doctor, chiropractor or physical therapist first. It’s not a stopper, it’s just smart to always consult them before starting ANY program. Meanwhile start walking in your neighborhood 15 minutes at a time.
2. PREP THE MIND - Mindset is key. Determine your “why”. Ex: Feel more energy to be playful with your family, feel more positive about yourself, get better sleep, to get rid of chronic back pain or headaches. Whatever it might be, write it on post-its and pepper them around the house. In my Pilates 101 Program, we go through some 'Off the Mat' exercises that are mindset shifts that will help you improve your relationship with your body AND exercise.
3. BABY STEPS - Start with small, doable additions to your day. Aim to add bits of self-care and exercise into your lifestyle. You don’t have to be the health nut out of your friends to feel better, you just need to make a few tweaks that you can stick to. I like and recommend a checklist that you write in your calendar or tape to the fridge so you can enjoy checking of the tasks each day. For example, in my Pilates 101 Program I give you a downloadable weekly checklist of simple, daily selfcare tasks that you can print and use week after week.
4. ENLIST AN ACCOUNTABILITY BUDDY - This is HUGE! As a self-proclaimed people-pleaser, this one really motivates me like no other in the playbook. Ask a family member or friend that’s trying to get in shape or just really wants to support you to schedule check-in texts or phone calls. I have fun sending fun photos of sweaty selfies or even just my water bottle to my buddy. I love seeing the accountability check-ins and support within the Just Breathe community and its evident in the success of the members.
5. CELEBRATE SMALL WINS WITH YOUR BUDDY
- Glass of bubbly
- New shiny water bottle
- Fab sneakers
So you want to get you back in shape from 0-10. You know what? 0-1 is actually the hardest. Let’s take that desire to exercise out of the 'too hard basket' and pin it to your fridge!
If you want a plan that's all laid out for you, learn Pilates technique (a smarter-not-harder approach to exercise) and have an accountability community, check out my Pilates 101 Program. You can check it out HERE. I'll guide you through all of the above and it's less than $50. PLUS you're really going to learn the right way to do Pilates with my special sauce (what my students call my teaching style).
Please let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.